Our 2018 Call for Scores is now open! The submission period will run from December 15, 2017, to February 15, 2018. Notifications of acceptance into the festival will be made on March 1, 2018. Below are the 2018 submission guidelines.
A tentative schedule of events is available here. Rehearsal times will be assigned once acceptances are announced. Optional opportunities for tours of local interest are scheduled to allow composers and performers to further engage with our communities should they so desire. This is also a chance to step away from rehearsals and be inspired by the beauty of our area.
Submissions may be made in any of the following categories:
- Due Per Se (Piano and Clarinet)
- Implosion Percussion (Percussion Ensemble [up to 5])
- Trio Melange (Horn, Piano, and Soprano)
- Solo or mixed ensemble
- Digital Media (two-channel only, with or without video)
Performers will be provided. The available instruments are as follows: flute (2), all clarinets/saxophones (3), oboe, trumpet (2), horn, trombone (2), tuba, guitar, piano, soprano (3), percussion (5), cello (2).
- Composers must be present at the concert to have their piece performed.
- Pieces of any length are eligible, but preference will be given to pieces under 15 minutes.
- We encourage electronic media combined with live performance.
- Works composed within the last year are encouraged.
- Composers must be able to provide computer-generated parts for the performers via PDF files.
- For the purposes of impartiality during the judging process for the Black Bayou Composition Award, please do not include your name on your score when submitting.
Two works will be selected to be choreographed by professional choreographers. If you wish your submission to be considered, indicate this in the appropriate box on the application.
Black Bayou Composition Award
The Black Bayou Composition Award will be presented for the piece “that best reflects the connection between music and nature.” This award is sponsored in part by Friends of Black Bayou, and will be adjudicated by composers and performers outside of the festival staff. Read more details about the award.
Travel and Lodging
Recommendations for discounted hotels will be posted as the festival nears. Shuttle to and from Monroe Regional Airport, festival hotels and concert venues, will be offered free of charge to composers and performers.
Professional audio recordings will be provided at no charge to composers after the festival. Professional video recordings will be available at a nominal price. New Music on the Bayou reserves the right to use recordings and images from the festival on our website and promotional materials.